Public Safety & Justice Services Mission Statement: The Department of Public Safety & Justices Services’ mission is to provide a wide range of public safety and justice services to residents and first responders of Cuyahoga County, while embracing current and new technologies in the public safety field.

You are here: Home > Office of Mediation > Mediation Services

Mediation Services

Pro Se Center
The office of Mediation has the adjunct department of Pro Se Center that provides information and Juvenile Court sanctioned pleading forms for those seeking to file for legal custody or visitation Pro Se (by themselves without Legal Counsel).

The Intake office will assist those interested in filing for custody or visitation of a child by determining, explaining and providing the appropriate paperwork then they will review the completed paperwork for completeness prior to filing at Juvenile Court.

The Intake office also directs parties to appropriate resources such as the Fatherhood Initiative, CSEA, Rising Tide or Children and Family Services.

Assists unmarried parents and other third parties filing in Juvenile Court who are seeking custody or visitation of children. We cannot assist those seeking to modify divorce decrees. There are exceptions to these rules so please contact our offices to see if we can help.

To file yourself for custody or visitation at Juvenile Court you will need to do the following:

A.  Pick up Pro‐Se forms at the Custody Intake office, which is located on the second floor of the Juvenile Justice Center (JJC) or at Child Support Services. The address for the JJC is 9300 Quincy Ave, Cleveland, OH 44106, and the phone # is 216/443‐3149. Walk in hours at JJC are Monday‐Friday from 9:00‐1:00 PM and 2:00 PM‐ 4:00 PM. (No appointment is necessary). The Pro Se Center is closed between 1:00 pm and 2:00 pm. The Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) satellite office is located at 1640 Superior and the phone # is 443‐5282, their walk in hours are Monday –Wednesday from 9:00 AM until 2:00 PM and on Thursday’s from 9:00 AM until 1:00 PM.

The following information will be needed to pick up the Pro‐ Se forms:
  1. Names, addresses, and birth dates of both parents. (Current Addresses are required)
  2. Address of where the child is currently living, and name of whom that child is living with.
  3. Name and birth dates of each child.
  4. Parent’s marital status
The Custody Intake staff will determine the appropriate paperwork for your case. They will then go over the paperwork instructing you in how to complete it properly for filing at the Juvenile Court. They will not complete the forms for you or provide you with legal advice.

B.  Complete the provided paperwork, and have the forms Notarized. Bring the completed original
paperwork and at least one (1) copy back to the Intake office along with the following:
  1. Copy of Birth certificate of each child. Do not bring the original birth certificate. Copies only.
  2. Paternity Paperwork for each child. Can be attained by any of the following:
  • Central Paternity Registry # (Obtain by calling 1‐888‐810‐6446)
  • Establishment of Parentage Paperwork from CSEA. (Child Support Enforcement Agency)
  • Case # from Juvenile Court.
  • Marriage license, if parents are married when child was born and there has been no divorce action that dealt with the custody of the children.
      3. Copy of each child’s social security card, or print out from the social security office or a refusal letter 
          (Form SSA‐L676) from the social security office.
      4. Filing Fee. $120.00 for application (creating new case) and $25.00 for motions (reopening closed case).

C.  The completed paperwork will be reviewed by the Pro Se office (JJC Suite 2600) for completeness and once approved the filing party will then be directed to the Juvenile Court Clerk’s office (JJC 2nd Floor) to file their application or motion for custody or visitation. Cases will then either be created by the filing of an application or reopened by the filing of a motion. The Clerk’s office will either direct the case to Custody Mediation for handling, or it will be sent directly to a Judge or magistrate to be set for hearing.

Juvenile Justice CenterJuvenile Justice Center
Pro Se Center
9300 Quincy 2nd Floor
Cleveland, Ohio 44106
(216) 443-3149
Walk in hours are 9:00 AM. - 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM. Monday - Friday (No appointment is necessary).

Juvenile Court Intake Forms

  1. Intake Form
  2. Application
  3. Motion
  4. Service forms
    1. Instructions for Service 
    2. Affidavit for Publication 

Custody Mediation For Unmarried Parents

Custody Mediation for Unmarried ParentsThe Office of Mediation provides pre-hearing case-management and mediation services to unmarried parents who are seeking a formal custody/visitation or shared-parenting plans in the Juvenile Court. Parties are entitled to one-time mediation services of up to five hours with a professional family mediator to resolve disputes involving custody, school, medial, residence, discipline, safety, vacation and holiday issues, etc.

Mediation for Grandparents and Other Kinship Caregivers

The Office of Mediation provides mediation of custody disputes involving grandparents and other kinship caregivers. Generally, these cases involve parents who have lost custody of their children because of a finding of dependency, neglect or abuse in the past. Children are currently living with a relative custodian, and a change of circumstance has occurred which makes it necessary or desirable for the parent to become re-involved in their children’s lives. A guardian ad litem, appointed by the court, investigates the home situation and participates with the relatives in developing the mediated solution, in the best interest of the child, for the presentation to the court.